Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Days

I've got so much to post I don't know where to begin.  We've been iced and snowed in since Monday.  It should clear up tomorrow but flurries are expected on Sunday and then again on Wednesday and Thursday.  It's a bad time for this to happen because of the SuperBowl in the area and I really feel sorry for all the people who extended their business services hoping to make some money on this.  It has really been hard on a lot of people.

Anyway, this is a card I did for a sketch challenge on the Cricut messageboard  http://community.provocraft.com/Cricut-Community_postst50992_Valentines-card.aspx

This was done for a sketch challenge. Used SU Real Red cardstock for the red base and mats, Georgia Pacific cardstock for the white mats. Used Cuttlebug folder with little hearts (can't remember the name of the set), Cuttlebug floral borders for the swirly, MS border punch for the heart border and the heart in the middle was a part of a RAK from fellow messageboard member BarbaraStewart1. The sentiment is by Repeat Impressions and stamped with SU real red ink. The ribbon on top was from Hobby Lobby. I wanted to make this card without using my cricut because I did it on the day we were having roving blackouts due to needing to conserve electricity during our winterstorm

My dear DH works retail and has been fighting every day to get to work.  He said 80% of the work crew didn't show up on Tuesday and Wednesday but business was slow.  Today he said driving was worse than before due to the ice from Tuesday and the 7 inches of snow we received tonight.  This is a story he has about this weather, in his own words:
This is a weather related "feel good " story.
Wednesday I needed to go to the local Home Depot about a mile away from work to get some ice melt for our parking lot. Home Depot is up on a hill with a pretty steep side street into it. Thought I could make it up the hill..........NOT.  
Got about half way up and started sliding backwards slowly. Slid into the curb, no damage but stuck. Tried for about an hour to get out, even walked up to the Home Depot to get a bag of sand for traction, but it didn't work. Called Roadside assistance and they said it was an 8 hour wait for a tow. Now the feel good part.  I was sitting there contemplating my next move and not coming up with any ideas (I'm the guy who has NEVER been stuck before). After about 20 minutes with numerous cars passing me, a hispanic laboror pulled up beside me in his 4X4 and said "Hey dude you want me to pull you out?" I said you betcha, knowing that it was going to cost me an arm and a leg.  But I asked him how much and he said NOTHING! He pulled me about 50 yards up into the Home Depot parking lot and I told him he had no idea how much I appreciated the help and handed him $20 and told him to have dinner or something. He finally agreed to take the money, but made it clear it was not for him. It was for the Church....


It really is good to know that there are still good people out there.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story. What a blessing this man was to your DH and what a blessing DH was to the church!

    ReplyDelete